Why are all the common keyboard shortcuts are closer to the left-hand side of the keyboard? Here’s seven that I use frequently.
- Ctrl+C (Copy in most applcations)
- Ctrl+V (Paste in most applcations)
- Ctrl+X (Cut in most applcations)
- Ctrl+Z (Undo in most Microsoft applcations)
- Ctrl+S (Save in most applications)
- Alt+Tab (Switch between windows)
- Ctrl+F (Find for most applications)
I’m right-handed and I use the mouse with my left-hand but that’s for ergonomic reasons. All these keyboard shortcuts are extremely easy for me to use.
I wonder about left-handed people though. Are keyboards (the normal ones at least) skewed for the right-handed folks? I find it difficult to use keyboard shortcuts that require me to use only my right hand.
My experience is that I use my left hand to hold down the Ctrl key and my right hand for the second key. Case in point: Ctrl+P (print in most applications). Otherwise, I end up extending my left hand (pinky holds the Ctrl key) and pressing the second key required. Case in point: Ctrl+B.
I’d be interested in talking to some left-handers out there, or even hearing from them. Psst! That means you. Comment.