In the order in which I’m thinking this up:
- Breaking news — As The Daily News tagline goes, When news breaks, we fix it. Some of the breaking news need not break, it can wait.
- Exclusive interview — TV channels use this phrase so regularly, it’s losing its exclusivity.
- Sting operation — How many more before the nation gets sick of these operations?
- Tsunami — Not the tragedy but the usage of this word in different contexts, like A tsunami of emotions.
- Terror/Terrorism — I think there’s a serious need to either re-define the meaning of these words or to use them less frequently.
- MSM — Mainstream media, which is the favourite punching bag of most bloggers.
- Use of the suffix gate — Plume-gate, Volcker-gate, to name a few. Enough, get another suffix.
- Voting through SMS — Probably a nice source of revenue to channels and telecom operators, but mostly meaningless.
- Moral policing — Mind your own business or find a better cause, one that actually helps people.
What was I thinking writing this post, none of this is going to go away. Hope is also a four-letter word.
Hope/Wish 2006 is a good year for you.